Brief…but to the point.
Gotta be Dredd. from ‘Day of Chaos’ to ‘The Cold Deck’ (Even if the ending of ‘The Cold Deck’ was terrible…the build-up was fantastic.) But it’s an obvious choice isn’t it? So, if Dredd wasn’t in the equation…what would be the best series?
Toss-up between ‘Absalom’ and ‘Flesh’.
Now, I can hear you scream ‘Flesh!!!!’ WTF Flint! Yes, I know that the plot has more holes in it than swiss cheese…but the art and the dialogue are just cracking. The thing with Pat Mills is…he’s like the ‘Gene Hackman’ of 2000ad. Even when Hackman appeared in a bad movie…he made it watchable. So, for every ‘French Connection’ sometimes a ‘Superman IV’ or ‘Heartbreakers’ creeps in. Oh…and I can’t get enough of Carter’s cleavage.
But, I’ll give best series to ‘Absalom’. Brilliantly written and Trevallions artwork is just a joy to look at. The guys brilliant! Please don’t let DC or Marvel get their hands on him and ruin him!
A few to pick from…’Red Seas’ is always there about, but can’t really say it’s the worst because Edgingtons writing on the series does bring a smile to my face every now and again. ‘Simping Detective’ would be up there if not for Simon Coleby’s fantastic artwork…so, the honor falls to ‘Grey Area’…for totally uninspired writing and art. (Anderson’s ‘Algol’ might have got it…but Grey Area just keeps dragging) Get Abnett back to ‘Kingdom’ and Lee Carter back onto something that his artwork can excel at instead of lifeless ‘poser’ art.
Oh…Does IDW’s Judge Dredd series count?
Highlight Of The Year
The ‘Dredd’ movie. Nuff Said!
No brainer – Henry Flint.
With an honorable mention to Al Ewing.
1791 Simon Fraser. It features…no-one! Poignant.
Toss up between 1778’s Stroke victim Dante and 1765’s Yeowells tranny Jena cover. It has to be 1778. Sweet Jebus! What was Tharg thinking?
What am I looking forward to in 2013
1) The Return of Reagan and Claw Carver and did I mention Carters cleavage?
2) The 2000ad letterers actually doing some good FX lettering or at least leave it to the bloody artists! I know, I know…it’s a pet peeve! Drives me nucking futs!
3) ‘Red Seas’ no more. Yippee! Please follow up with ‘Grey Area’…it would make my year!
3) More ‘Case Files’
4) The ‘Dredd 3D’ Blu-Ray!
5) The Blu-Ray selling so well that a Dredd sequel is announced.
6) Matt Smiths ‘Judge Dredd: Year One’ from IDW. At least IDW might get something right.
7) Rich McAuliffes very first Dredd story in the Meg! ;-)
8) Leigh Gallagher artwork on Defoe…pretty please with sugar on top.